Joe's New Blog

Nothing special, this is just my third effort at writing a blog about my life and what goes on in it: Hobbies, cooking, work, maybe the occasional book or DVD review, and so forth. Nothing really noteworthy, but this is sort of a little subset of my world...

Monday, November 3, 2014

Kitchen Day

Today has mostly been a kitchen sort of day.  I just took out a roasting pan full of butternut squash, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic, which are going to be the basis for a soup that I'll finish making tomorrow.  If it turns out well, I might even go ahead and post the recipe.


The better half was talking about making chili this week, and we're running a bit low on beans, so I have some black beans and some red beans soaking overnight in the crock pots.  I'll get those seasoned up and cooking tomorrow, and then hopefully get the ones we don't need for chili canned straightaway.  I always seem to lose my motivation about that, though, and they just sit in the refrigerator for too long.  Yes, I'm well aware of the virtually religious disagreement between whether "real" chili should have beans or not.  Personally, I don't really care much, as long as it tastes good, and the beans make it go a whole lot further for the money we've spent on the ingredients.  Maybe if I could afford five dollars a pound for beef, I'd go with the all meat chili.

And, in the spirit of not leaving things in the fridge for too long and wasting money, I've divided up the ground beef into one pound portions, bagged and sealed them with the Foodsaver, and tossed most into the freezer.  I left a pound in the fridge for the aforementioned chili.

Tomorrow, I hope to finish off some of the remaining kitchen tasks:  Finish making my soup, finish picking the meat of the chicken bones that I baked a few days ago, stew the bones for chicken broth.  Waste not, want not...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home